Choosing the right type of paint and color to match the design and furnishing of your room can be frustrating. However, it is very rewarding when you finally finish the job and see that your efforts have not gone to waste.
Here are some useful tips you can use if you are redecorating your home;
- In choosing the right color, first you have to determine the color scheme of your existing furniture, window treatments and other accessories in your room. Visit your paint dealer and get coordinating color chips of your favorite colors that can be found in your room. To know how your color choice is affected by the lighting, inspect the color chips during the day and at night time. This should help you decide what suits your room best. Alternatively, you can buy a quart of your chosen color to test on your wall and see how it fairs.
- If you are using two colors for a chair rail, you can paint the portion of the wall below the chair with a darker color. This makes the lighter color dominate and will give your room an open and airy look.
- To disguise ordinary or unattractive trim work, you can use the same color you are using to paint your walls. You can also do this if you want to achieve a uniform or monochromatic look to your room. However, if you want to accentuate a trim work or add color and subtle hints to your room, you can use colors that are a shade darker or lighter than the color of your walls.
- Colors generally look darker especially on large surfaces. If you do not want your room to look dark, choose a color that is a shade or two lighter than what you originally want. Remember that surrounding colors and the lighting in the room affects how the colors on your wall will look like.
- Techniques such as rag rolling, sponging, and color washing can be used to apply a muted or lighter color over the original color. These techniques are helpful if you want to tone down the boldness of the color of your room.
- If you are painting a small room and you want it to appear bigger, you can use a neutral color such as white. Receding colors also help you achieve this appearance. Strong and warm colors tend to close a space so it will only make your room look and feel even smaller.
- If you want your ceilings to appear higher, paint your ceilings white or off white. If you want to achieve a cozy look, choose medium to dark colors.
- If you are working on wood surfaces, it is best to use oil based paints because it penetrates better especially during winter. Water based paints or latex paints dries faster and is suitable for bulk jobs as they can be washed with soap and water.
- Every 400 square feet of flat surface requires one gallon of paint. However, you have to consider the number of coats that you need to apply. Some colors like blue and yellow are colors that are hard to cover with just one coat.